About the Adirondack Mountains Region of Upstate NY
Located just 225 miles north of New York City lies the beautiful southern Adirondack Region that includes a 6 million acre park preserve of forests, rivers, lakes, streams, mountains and wildlife. The Adirondack Park is even bigger than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Great Smoky Mountain and Glacier National Parks combined! No matter what your interests entail, you will surely love the southern Adirondack Region of Upstate New York.
THINGS TO DO
There is a wide variety of fun and exciting things to see and do in the Adirondacks. Whether you want to go shopping in the fashion outlets, boutiques and artisan shops, or take a hike up the High Peaks, nothing is too far away. Go boating or take a swim in one of the many pristine lakes found in the region including Lake George, queen of America’s lakes. Enjoy balloon rides, lake cruises and amusement parks in this region as well! Discover war reenactments at the Fort William Henry or try your hand at mini-golf at one of the many courses nearby. Enjoy these other fine establishments and venues when you call the Southern Adirondacks your home.
- Fort William Henry Museum – Features battle reenactments from the French and Indian War era and located on the site of the James Fenimore Cooper Classic “Last of the Mohicans”.
- The Hyde Collection – Art Museum complex featuring approximately 2,800 paintings, sculptures, furniture, works on paper, and decorative arts including works by El Greco, Botticelli, Rembrandt, and Pablo Picasso. Located in an historic house in Glens Falls, NY.
- Marcella Sembrich Opera Museum – Located in Bolton Landing overlooking Lake George. Filled with displays of memorabilia, costumes, art objects, original furniture, and signed photo tributes of Marcella Sembrich, an internationally known Polish singer who performed during the “Golden Age of Opera”. Planned events are also found here.
- Chapman Historical Museum – A year round museum located near downtown Glens Falls that consists of an exhibition gallery, educational programs, guided tours and gift shop in a restored Victorian home.
- Find more museums in the Adirondacks here >>
- Six Flags Great Escape Splashwater Kingdom - Offers rides, thrills, attractions and even a water park perfect for the young and young at heart. Located on Route 9 in Lake George.
- Explore! - Indoor fun and amusements for children that includes a climbing loft, water world, kiddie city, tot spot and more. Located in Glens Falls.
- Dr. Morbids Haunted House - A popular haunted house located in the village of Lake George.
- The Fun Spot - Features roller skating, laser tag, go-karts, water slides and more in Queensbury NY.
- Waterslide World - Over 35 waterslides, attractions and services in Lake George, NY.
- Find more here >>
CRUISES & WATER FUN:
- Lake George Shoreline Cruises - Offers entertainment cruises, waverunner rentals and parasailing. Also features a restaurant and pub.
- Lake George Steamboat Cruises - Lunch, brunch and dinner cruises as well as narrated boat cruises on Lake George.
- Tubby Tubes Company - Family friendly lazy river tubing down the old Hudson River log float.
- Find more Water Fun here >>
There are a plethora of excellent golf courses located in the southern Adirondack Region. Below is just a sampling of what can be found:
- The Sagamore Resort – Donald Ross 18 hole par 70 golf course in Bolton Landing.
- Queensbury Country Club – An 18 hole public golf course in Queensbury, New York overlooking the Adirondack Mountains. Features a driving range and putting green with riding carts and club rentals available.
- Top of the World Golf Resort – 18 hole golf course that offers lake and mountain views. A restored Adirondack Inn and restaurant are both located at the resort as well. Course is located on the top of French Mountain in Lake George, NY.
- Bay Meadows – 9 hole public golf course in Glens Falls, New York.
- Airway Meadows Golf Course – 18 hole 72 par championship course located in Gansevoort, New York, halfway between Saratoga and Lake George. A driving range, pro shop and food and beverage cart are some of the amenities found at this course.
- Saratoga National Golf Course – 18 hole championship golf course and restaurant in Saratoga Springs.
- Tee Bird Golf Club – 27 hole golf course in Fort Edward, NY with well maintained turf conditions, rental clubs and carts available.
- Hiland Park Country Club – 18 hole championship course, designed by Stephen Kay located in Queensbury. Also offers a driving range, club grill and pro shop.
- Kingswood Golf Course – 18 hole links style championship golf course in Hudson Falls. Features grass tee driving range, pro shop, and putting green as well as a club grille.
- Green Mansions Golf Club – Located in Chestertown, NY – A 9 hole USGA rated par 36 golf club and driving range.
- Cronin’s Golf Resort – 18 hole par 70 course with multi-tiered greens, bunkers and tree-lined fairways in Warrensburg.
- Find more Golf Courses and Mini-Golf here >>
Whether you are moving from one area of the region to another or moving here for the first time, you will never run out of things to do and see in the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate NY! Looking for Adirondack Real Estate? Use our Property Quick Search for up to date listings.