Candy Cane Cookie Sticks Recipe
Impress guests with this cookie stick recipe:
Lake George transforms into a picturesque Christmas town! Stroll the Village to enjoy incredible light displays and festive decorations, and check out the Royal Snow Sisters Princess Show, a Ha-Ha-Holiday Comedy Show, and a Vendor Artisan Market. Learn More »
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, combined with above cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Red gel-paste food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put egg whites and sugar in the bowl.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and sugar on medium speed until foamy. Reduce speed to low. Add flour and salt; mix until just combined. Add butter, cream, and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Transfer 1 cup batter to a small bowl (set remaining batter aside). Stir in red coloring until desired color is reached. Transfer tinted batter to a pastry bag fitted with a small plain round tip (such as Ateco #2). Secure end of pastry bag with rubber band. Set aside.
- Put a 3-by-6-inch rectangle (cut out a stencil to use as a guide) on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat baking mat. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of plain batter into the rectangle, and spread with a small offset spatula. Repeat. Pipe diagonal tinted stripes onto each rectangle. Bake cookies until pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Immediately loosen edges with a spatula, and flip cookie over. Starting from one long side, roll cookie into a stick. Place, seam side down, on a clean work surface; let cool until set. Quickly repeat with second cookie.
- Repeat process, tinting and baking 2 or 3 cookies at a time. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week.