Schroon Lake New York - An Adirondack Lake Getaway Minutes From Lake George NY
In the heart of the Adirondacks, yet only 30 minutes from Lake George, Schroon Lake New York offers a true Adirondack lake vacation. The area is a four season getaway in the eastern tier of the Adirondack Park with quaint country shops, restaurants, antiques and collectable shops, movie theater, and churches.
Enjoy the stunning foliage as you take a little drive to the charming Schroon Lake area. If you enjoy mountainous landscapes, outdoor fun and lakeside activities, Schroon Lake is definitely worth checking out.
Looking back, Schroon Lake was first settled around 1800 as a French colony. How Schroon Lake was named is debatable. Some say Schroon is derived from the Native American word for Large Lake. Others believe the French soldiers named it after Widow Scarron, the wife of noted French author and playwright Paul Scarron.
Today, Schroon Lake is a year-round tourist destination, celebrated for its friendly people and endless outdoor activities.
Thrilling Adventures in Schroon Lake Await!
- If you're a runner, Each September the Adirondack Marathon is held in downtown Schroon Lake. If you're looking for an authentic Adirondack experience, enjoy the gorgeous waters while you run the 26 mile trail.
- Do you have a rock collection? Explore a geologic wonder at the Natural Stone Bridge and Caves - the largest natural marble cave entrance in the east.
- If music is more up your ally, tune into the Seagle Music Colony! This summer vocal training program is the oldest and most distinguished opera and musical theatre producing organization in the Adirondack region of upstate New York.
- For a nice climb, hike the 6.7 mile Pharaoh Mountain. At the top, beautiful views of Pharaoh lake, Vermont's Green Mountains, and Lake Champlain are worth the trek!
- After a long hike, you're going to need to knock back a few brews. Flannigan's Bar and Grill offers classic pub fair, a juke box and rowdy locals�grab a drink and take in the rustic atmosphere!
If you enjoy the fresh air and enjoy spending time outdoors, Schroon Lake is the ultimate tourist destination for you! From marathons, to music, Schroon Lake has it all!
Towns located on Schroon Lake:
- Adirondack NY