Located at the summit of Prospect Mountain, the Prospect Mountain Day Use Area features breathtaking views of the surrounding region and a picnic area.
About Prospect Mountain
The hiking trail up Prospect Mountain and Prospect Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway are both open for the 2020 season.
The Prospect Mountain Day Use Area is spacious and accessible to both hikers and those who choose to drive up to the summit along the Prospect Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway.
- The Hike - From the Prospect Mountain Trailhead in Lake George Village, take the trail up the mountain for 1.5 miles until you reach the summit.
- The Drive - The 5.5-mile long Veteran's Memorial Highway is currently closed. We are monitoring information from the DEC (Department of Environmental Conservation) and will update this post as soon as opening information becomes available.
Changes For 2020
Those who have visited the Prospect Mountain summit before may remember its large picnic area, complete with picnic tables and grills. To prevent the spread of COVID-19, there will be some differences at the summit this year:
- Picnicking will be prohibited; additionally, the picnic pavilions will not be available to rent.
- Restrooms will remain closed.
- View scopes at the highway pull-offs and on the summit have been dismantled.
- The shuttle from the final highway parking lot to the summit will not operate. Visitors will have to complete the short walk to the top.