The Lake George Region is a popular place for snowmobiling, especially during the new Lake George Area Winterfest. However, Lake George Village has recently clarified details about snowmobile/ATV use on Village streets in response to incorrect map information that has been circulating within the community.
What Snowmobilers & ATVers Need to Know
Snowmobiles and ATVs are permitted on the lake, when ice thickness allows, as well as in certain parts of the Lake George area, but to eliminate any confusion that visitors and residents might have been experiencing, the Village has released a statement with current regulations for ATV and snowmobile use on local streets.
Please keep the following in mind as you enjoy your time in Lake George this winter:
- ATVs and snowmobiles are not permitted on any sidewalk nor on the Lakefront Walkway in Lake George Village.
- ATVs and snowmobiles are also not permitted on sidewalks or roadways along the main thoroughfare in the village (U.S. Route 9 / Canada Street) nor on Beach Road.
- Access from the lake to the Village’s business district is permitted via Amherst Street only.
- Shepard Park is available for parking.
- ATVs and snowmobiles may cross Route 9 at the intersection of Amherst Street and Canada Street to access the Village’s back streets up to Ottawa Street only.
- All Village streets in the business district are accessible, but residential areas are not.
As long as everyone follows these regulations, we can have a fun and safe winter in Lake George.