Experience Maple Season in Lake George & the Adirondacks
March is one of the sweetest times of year in Lake George and the Adirondacks. Why? Maple season! New York State is the second only to Vermont when it comes to maple production in this country, and we celebrate that fact all month long with fun events and sweet treats.
Maple Sugaring in the Lake George Region
Here in Lake George and the North Country, there are many local maple farms that produce the sweet syrup you know and love. The sap to syrup process is known as maple sugaring, and it typically takes place from March through early April, depending on the weather.
Over the years, the tradition has evolved and now involves the use of vacuum pumps and tubing to tap sugar maple trees. These trees are tapped when they are at least 30 years old, often closer to 40, and can support three taps at a time. The tap allows sap to flow into a collection area, such as an evaporator house or buckets. Once enough sap is collected, it is heated/boiled, and then the resulting syrup is filtered.
This traditional maple sugaring process is conducted throughout the Lake George Region each year. There are maple farms in Warrensburg and Thurman, a wide array within nearby Washington County, and even more in and around the Adirondack Park. Many of these places offer tours and maple products that are available for purchase.
2020 Thurman Maple Days
The Thurman area, about a half hour drive from Lake George Village, hosts three weekends worth of Thurman Maple Days each year. This year's Thurman Maple Days are slated for March 14 & 15, March 21 & 22, and March 28 & 29.
During the designated weekends, five farms in the region welcome visitors for open houses, tutorials on the sugaring process, syrup samplings, pancake breakfasts, kids' activities, and so much more.
Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available! Check out last year's details for an idea of what to expect:
2019 Participating Maple Farms
- Adirondack Gold Maple Farm, 74 Bear Pond Road, Athol, NY 12810
- Hidden Hollow Maple Farm, 312 Dippikill Road, Warrensburg, NY 12885
- Mud Street Maple Farm, 137 Charles Olds Road, Athol, NY 12810
- Toad Hill Maple Farm, 137 Charles Olds Road, Athol, NY 12810
- Valley Road Maple Farm, 190 Valley Road, Warrensburg, NY 12885 (start here for breakfast at 9am)
2019 Other Farms & Activities
- Martin's Lumber and Certified Tree Farm, 280 Valley Road, Warrensburg, NY 12885 - showcasing silviculture, the monitoring and science of woodlands and farms, and a sawmill operation
- Nettle Meadow Farm, 484 South Johnsburg Road, Warrensburg, NY 12885 - farm tours and sheep/goat tasting
- Peru Llama Farm, 661 High Street, Athol, NY 12810 - hang out with a llama named Critter, and if you're lucky, snag a kiss
2019 Maple Fun at Up Yonda Farm
On four Saturdays in March 2019, Up Yonda Farm in Bolton Landing will host their Maple Sugaring events.
Come witness the traditional process that results in the sweet syrup you know and love. On March 9th, 16th, and 30th from 1pm to 2pm the staff at Up Yonda Farm will tap, collect, and boil the sap of sugar maples on the property. (There is no program on the 23rd.)
To attend, the cost is free for members and $5 per person for non-members.
2019 New York State Maple Weekends
The maple celebration continues state-wide during two New York State Maple Weekends each year! This year's maple weekends are March 23rd and 24th, and 30th and 31st. More than 130 maple producers across the state participate in maple weekends, offering open houses, public demonstrations, family-friendly fun, and more.