Village of Lake George: Parking Tips & Info
Lake George can be a busy and bustling destination, especially during annual events and the peak summer season. Beautiful lakeside views, sandy beaches, lakeside restaurants, live music, fireworks and a wide variety of special events attract visitors throughout the day and night.
With all those people it can sometimes be hard to know where to park. But, with a little bit of planning, good timing and some knowledge of the area, finding a spot in the Village close to your destination will be a breeze!
Note that parking fees are used to support free events, including fireworks and concerts, seasonal employees and a Visitor Center.
Pack your extra quarters before you leave! It's important to keep in mind that almost every street in the Village of Lake George is metered, using either older quarter-fed parking meters or dollar-fed pay stations. The village enforces metered parking May 15 through September 15, seven days a week, from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. On street parking is typically $1.00 per hour. Metered parking streets include:
- Canada Street / Route 9 - The main road through the Village
- Ottawa Street which runs parallel to Route 9 / Canada Street
- James Street, located directly off Ottawa Street
- Amherst / Lower Amherst Street, near Shepard Park
- Dieskau Street which runs from Ottawa Street to Sewell Street
- Westbrook Road, near Charles R. Wood Park, intersecting Route 9 and also accessible via Beach Road
There is non-metered parking, but it is limited, and you should be prepared to both arrive early, and walk a ways to your destination. Also - watch carefully for No Parking signs, as well as curbs and lines painted yellow, which also indicates no parking. Non-metered parking can be found past Schuyler Street and on Helen Street.
Paid parking lots are scattered throughout the Village. They usually run about $2.00 an hour, though there are some all-day parking options off Beach Road, near Charles R. Wood Park for approximately $5 to $10 a day, depending on the season, event or time of day. Parking lots can fill up very quickly, so be sure to get there as early as you can. Here is where you will find parking lots right in the Village:
- Across from the Lake George Steamboat Company on Beach Road.
- At Million Dollar Beach - as of summer 2016, this lot provides parking for 200 cars at $10 per car. After 5 pm, the price drops to $6 per car.
- Adjoining / near Charles R. Wood Park
- A small lot between Ottawa Street and Canada Street, near shops, eateries and other businesses.
Planning to stay overnight? Try to book your lodging in Lake George at a place along the trolley route! The trolley is an inexpensive and convenient way to get around the Village as well as travel to points south (The Great Escape and the shopping outlets), and points north (Bolton Landing).
Got a Ticket?
Don't worry! There are fine depositories available throughout the Village. Fines may also be paid in person at 20 Old Post Road, by mail at the same address or electronically through the Village's website which has a processing charge.