The Lake George Winter Carnival continues on with fireworks and more, but that’s not all that’s happening this weekend. Check out Free Fishing Days, two guided snowshoe hikes, winter celebrations and a polar plunge in Hague, and more. Plus, get your quick news around town.
- The Sanctioned Motorcycle & ATV Races have been cancelled for the Winter Carnival on Saturday; other Winter Carnival activities are on as scheduled, including the fireworks.
- Ice Castles has issued the following statement. Due to rain and warm temperatures, Ice Castles will be closed all day Saturday, February 19; On Sunday, February 20, they will be closed 11 AM to 6 PM and the VIP Arctic Alcove will be closed all day; On Monday, February 21, they will be closed all day. Direct questions to https://icecastles.com/ny-customer-support/
The Winter-ific Events Continue This Weekend & Beyond
Check out the upcoming events:
- Fire & Ice at Crandall Pond: February 18
- Lake George Winter Carnival – Weekend 3: February 19 & 20
- Hague Winter Weekend & Polar Plunge: February 19 & 20
- Free Fishing Weekend: February 19 & 20
- Naturalist-Led Snowshoe at Up Yonda Farm: February 19 & 20
- Snowshoe at Meadowbrook Preserve: February 24
- Lake George Area Ice Fishing Challenge: through February 28
- Lake George Winterfest: through March 11
Business News & More Updates Around Lake George
TR’s Restaurant is a BBQ Cook-Off Winner – Again
The second weekend of the Lake George Winter Carnival included the BBQ Cook-Off, and TR’s Restaurant at the Holiday Inn Resort took home the gold – for the third time! Fort William Henry came in second place, and Blue Thirty-Two in third. Make sure to try their Brown Sugar Baby Back Ribs next time you’re at TR’s.
Coming up this weekend at the Winter Carnival is the Soup & Chowder Cook Off. Although pre-sale tickets are sold out, festival organizers have indicated that they will have extra available the day of, so get in the “standby” line early!
Lake George Job Fair Scheduled
If you’re a business owner looking for workers, there will be a job fair on March 16 at Lake George High School, coordinated by Warren County Employment & Training. Businesses can reserve spots to meet with students.
Intrigued parties can fill out this interest form: shorturl.at/uBD16
Hickory Ski Center Won’t Open This Season
There’s been a lot of buzz around the Lake George region regarding the potential reopening of Hickory Ski Center. The Warrensburg ski resort posted on Monday that they will not be offering lift-serviced skiing this season, citing issues with ski insurance inspectors booking several weeks out in advance. However, they will be ahead of the game for next season.
You can read the full post here: https://www.facebook.com/hickoryskicenter/posts/10158642492248927
A Wastewater Treatment Center Update
We reported at the end of last December that the upgraded wastewater treatment plant in Lake George was nearly complete. But now, it turns out the project is more costly than anticipated – $600,000 more expensive, to be exact.
According to The Post Star, the proposed $24 million project is now $24.6 million. Instead of being ready this spring, the project is expected to be complete by August. A specific reason for the increase wasn’t specified, other than to indicate that major construction still needs to happen, including a road being built between facility buildings.
- The Post Star: Lake George Village Board hears update on new wastewater treatment plan