The maple trees are being tapped, one of our favorite ice cream spots is gearing up to reopen, and there’s plenty of ongoing and upcoming fun in the Lake George region to check out.
Lake George News to Know, From Maple Fun to a Rachael Ray Recognition
Here’s What’s Going On With Maple This Year
The Chronicle recently reported that the local maple industry is thriving, largely due to people ordering maple online for increased home cooking projects. This boost is despite the fact that New York State Maple Weekends were officially cancelled, along with Thurman Maple Days.
Many individual farms are still doing their own thing, despite the formalized event cancellations. You can check out some in the Lake George area here, and there will also be a Maple Festival at Up Yonda Farm on March 13 and 20.
A Reminder: Fun Historical Tours Are Still Happening
Fort William Henry is still offering Winter Guided Fort Tours and Winter Ghost Tours for the next three Saturdays, March 6, 13, and 20, so consider booking a tour if you’re looking for more things to do as we ease into spring. Both types of tours cost $15 for adults, and you can buy tickets ahead of time.
Opening Day Announced for Martha’s Dandee Creme
Martha’s Dandee Creme announced their opening day for the 2021 season as Saturday, March 13. They’ll be open Fridays and Saturdays 11am to 10pm, and Sunday through Thursday 11am to 9pm; the grill closes one hour before closing time.
It may not actually be warm out on March 13, but we can definitely start thinking spring!
Bear’s Cup in Bolton Landing Featured on Rachael Ray
The popular bagel/artisanal coffee shop in Bolton Landing, Bear’s Cup, was recently highlighted on Rachael Ray, where she stated that they “have some of the best bagels she’s ever had in her life.” If you scroll down through Bear Cup’s Facebook page you can find the video clip (or just Google).
Hailing from Glens Falls with a home in Lake Luzerne, Rachael Ray has highlighted a few local hotpots on her national platform before, including New Way Lunch’s famous hot dogs.
Lake George’s Own Polynesian Resort Wins Hospitality Award
Here’s another fun recognition: The unique, tropical, and Polynesian-themed Tiki Resort in Lake George recently received a hihotels 2020 President’s Award that underscores their willingness to roll with positive changes in the hotel industry, and for receiving positive feedback from guests.
Upcoming Events: Make Your Own Wood Sign, Check Out an End of Winter Carnival & More
- Make Your Own Wood Burning Sign at Wax ‘n’ Wix: March 5
- Winter Guided Fort Tour at Fort William Henry: March 6, 13, 20
- Winter Guided Ghost Tour at Fort William Henry: March 6, 13, 20
- Ticonderoga End of Winter Carnival: March 5 – 7 (this has virtual components as well)
- Drive-Thru Food Pantry at Great Escape: March 8
- Adirondack Folk School Sewing Circle: March 11
- St. Patrick’s Day at Adirondack Winery: March 12 – 17
- Maple Festival at Up Yonda Farm: March 13 + 20
- DIY Maple Sugaring at Adirondack Folk School: March 14
- The Hyde’s Virtual Tasteful Evening Series With Art, Wine & Cheese: March 4
- Mixology for the Home Bartender With SUNY Adirondack: March 8
- No Excuses! Writing & Selling Your Book With SUNY Adirondack: March 13*
*Note from the editor: I have taken this class and it is excellent.
- The Chronicle (print edition): Maple syrup biz OK despite Covid
- HospitalityNet.org: hihotels by Hospitality International Reveals 2020 Award Winners