We’ve known this for awhile, but others have now officially recognized that Lake George is the best lake in the entire state! Specifically, MSN recently compiled a list of the best lake in each state and Lake George took the win for New York. With its crystal clear waters and an abundance of boating and water activities to choose from – not to mention the great restaurants right on the lake – it’s no surprise Lake George is the best of the best in the entire state.
The Best Lake in NYS
MSN said about Lake George: “Nicknamed the ‘Queen of American Lakes,’ there’s tons of fun to be had at this Adirondack foothills lake. In addition to playing on its beaches, renting a boat, or chartering a fishing boat, visitors can book a ride on the Lake George Steamboat Co.’s Minnie-Ha-Ha, one of the last steam paddlewheel boats in America.” The news site goes on to recommend hitting up one of the many waterfront restaurants.
Lake George consists of pristine, clear water surrounded by majestic mountains, making it one of the most beautiful lakes in the entire country. The beauty of the area in conjunction with activities offered like water-skiing, jet-skiing, parasailing, stand-up paddleboarding, chartered cruises, and more are what really put the lake on the map as the absolute best lake in New York State.
About Lake George
Lake George has a rich history, having been discovered somewhere around the early to mid-1600s. Thomas Jefferson famously said about the lake in 1791 that it’s “without comparison, the most beautiful water I ever saw” – we agree!
Here are some quick fun facts about the lake:
- It’s 32 miles long and reaches depths of nearly 200 feet.
- It’s about 3 miles wide at its widest point.
- It was formed around 10,000 to 12,000 years ago.
- There are nearly 400 shoreline campsites between 44 state-owned islands.
- There is an ongoing project called The Jefferson Project that involves deploying sensors in the lake to collect vital information to maintain and preserve the lake.
- Lake George is vigilant about boat inspection and decontaminations to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species.
What’s your favorite thing about Lake George?
- MSN: The Best Lakes in All 50 States