Battlefield Park In Lake George, NY


Named after two battles that were fought on its 35 acres, Battlefield Park offers sweeping views of Lake George and a glimpse back in time.

A statue and two monuments memorialize some of the struggles that took place on the now peaceful grounds. A statue of a Native American dipping his hand into a pool of water, given to the park in 1921 by George Pratt, is dedicated to the various Native American tribes in the region. One of Battlefield Park's namesake battles was between the Algonquin and Iroquois tribes.

Another nod to the park's Native American past is embodied in a statue of King Hendrick, the Mohawk chief, demonstrating the danger of dividing his favors to General William Johnson. The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New York raised the money in the late 1890s to erect the statue.

Set among the trees, the third statue on the grounds is of Father Isaac Jogues, the first white man to view Lake George. He dubbed the Lake "Lac du St. Sacrament," which translates to "Lake of the Blessed Sacrament."

Jogues spread Christianity to the Huron Indians in the 1630s and 1640s, and he was captured and tortured by the Mohawk Indians, losing his thumb and forefingers.

With the aid of Dutch settlers, Jogues fled to France but later returned to the New World where he was martyred by the Mohawk Indians in 1646. He is now one of the martyred missionaries known as the "North American Martyrs" and was canonized in 1930.

Battlefield Park is located on Beach Road just off Route 9 at Lake George Village. The park today is used for recreational activities, from jogging to kite flying, picnicking and more.

« Back to Things To Do

Connect With Us